Saturday, February 2, 2013

Retelling and Sequencing --all on the iPad

I find that retelling is one of those concepts that I teach that is very hard to assess because I really need to be next to each student as they retell the story. Almost impossible right? Well, I have now figured it out.

So here is how it works.

1.  I opened an account with Dropbox.com.

2.  I found a couple of pictures. You can screen shot them. You can find images from the web. I renamed them a, b, and c. (I did not rename them by numbers because I want the students to retell the story and put the pictures in order so I did not want them to be confused about the numbers and the sequence order. I did not provide further description for them because once they drop the pictures in Educreations the title of the picture is not seen anymore.) The pictures are put in a folder. Because some of my students are very low and can not read yet, I made the name of the folder A and the name of the pictures not literacy based. Any student can do this with the level of literacy their are at.

3.  I registered by Dropbox account and followed those email/directions to link it to Educreations.

4.  Because my students' Educrations is linked to my Educreations account, I did register my Dropbox account for each iPad as well. Took about 10 minutes (but something you need to do ahead of time). You enter the email account and password. If you use a dummy account/password, the students could help you depending on their ability.

5.  The students go to Educreations and click the icon next to the text box. I called it the one with the square and the mountain and the sun inside. All students found it instantly.

6.  I explained each of the options and the one that we want is Dropbox (has a box next to it).

7.  The choices that pop up (for them) is Folder A and Folder Photos.  I am anticipating that they will only have Folder A to draw from. I will just keep switching out the different photos as needed. Maybe if we are doing a reading and math activity the same day I will rename them Literacy and Math.


8.  Inside the A folder are 4 pictures (now). They only had picture a.png, b.png, c.png. I explained to them what the .png means and that I just named each of the pictures a, b, c.  I then showed them how to download each picture (just by touching each name). We quickly had 3 pictures on our screen. You have to go back to dropbox each time to get the picture. By naming them a, b, c, I think the students can remember what picture they need next so opposed to an actual name. They can remember they go to a and then need b and c.


9.  Here are the pictures. I reduced the size. The funny thing is when the students got to do it on their own after a demo of how to do it. They were the ones that figured out how to reduce the size. I did show them how to turn the picture if it was upside down, etc.


10.  Now, I asked them to number the pictures in order. You can also write right on the pictures if space is an issue.


11.  Now the students can push the record button and retell the story. They have the pictures to help them retell.

12.  Finally, they saved their story and I get all their recordings in my account and can listen to them at home and I am not taking a pile of papers home with me. The students save their recordings as their name and subject (they copy the subject from the board).  I am able to listen to them all and not just a few in the classroom. Here is my quick example for them.

 http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/mrs-both/4442708/


So when I share something new with my students. We sit on the rug and I have my iPad projected on the screen. I walk the students through each step, showing them and explaining to them what I am doing (very step by step). Then I have them go get their iPads and we do it together on the rug.  I would say 80-90% of them can do it independently after my demonstration and their practice with support.

Two amazing things that make me smile:
Again, they figured out how to resize the pictures.
They began immediately helping those students who missed a step.

Have fun with retelling and sequencing.




4 comments:

  1. Great activity. I appreciate how you explained the set up for the workflow. Sometimes it is so difficult to figure out the best way to make a project like this easy for young users. Brilliant! Thanks!

    Karen Bosch

    http://blogs.southfieldchristian.org/pixelsandpaintbrushes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    This sounds wonderful! Being able to share work created on one iPad is still a struggle for me. A fellow teacher reminds me "It is called an iPad, not a wePad for a reason". I do have a few questions for you: Does each student in your class have their own email account? Or do you use the same one for everyone? Are they gmail accounts or what?
    Thanks again for sharing!
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because my students are in kindergarten, none of them have their own email account. They do not get an email account until 2nd grade. I also changed the settings so they can not email anybody. Therefore, when they go on Educreations or Dropbox, I have registered all their accounts as my account. I put in my email address and password. They are not asked for that information after the first time I put it. I just go to my Educreations account and all their work is listed and I can click on it and listen to it. I can also share their work with their parents and send them a link.

    I am looking into some new apps and what I will do is put my email address and so when they begin to type my last name, both, the email will pop up and they will just push on the email and it will be sent to my email account. I will then have to change the settings to allow the emailing.

    I have not had trouble with my students not following directions. If they do take a picture or do something they are not suppose to do, they are without an iPad for the day and that usually takes care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie! This does help a lot! I am going to think this through and then dive in. Thanks again!
      Camille
      An Open Door

      Delete