Monday, February 25, 2013

Exit Slip--Coin Names and Values

We are working on counting coins--right now just nickels and pennies. First, the students are given a cup of coins (pennies and nickels) and a felt mat. The felt mat is used to silence the coins. This really makes a difference as the students are counting coins in quiet voices.

When done with the counting coins activity, the students did an exit slip on the iPad. They used Educreations app and then used Dropbox to upload a picture of a penny and a picture of a nickel. The students than were asked to identify the coin and the value of the coin. In the past, I had to go to each student to ask them the name and value of the coins. This was so much quicker.












http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/wynter-coins/5258519/

Other activities I do to practice counting money is a toy store or snack shop. I have little toys (pencils, erasers, tattoos, and other toys) for the students to buy. I give them a cup of coins and they have to count out the right amount of money to purchase the different toys. These toys they can actually keep. They have to read the price of the toy, find the right amount of money needed, count it aloud to me, and then keep their toy.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I feel like I still just barely scratching the surface in terms of how to use iPads throughout the day. Thank you for sharing this. I am learning so much from you!
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad this is helpful! Let me know if there is something that you are learning and maybe I have done it and can give you some ideas.

    ReplyDelete